Hello Blogworld! I’m sorry I’ve been neglecting you lately. My life for the past few weeks have been consumed by job interviews and homework and it seems there just isn’t a quick and easy fix for either of those things!
Considering how busy I’ve been and how wildly successful I was last month (note the sarcasm) I’ve decided to try to tackle some small things this month.
Like, for example, keeping my mess of earrings under control.
Much like the laundry situation the state of disaster on my dresser has become a sore spot for me, and my earring collection seems to be the biggest culprit. I try to keep them contained in a fun tin, but then it seems they’re constantly tangled up and finding matches is nearly impossible without dumping the whole lot. What’s the point of keeping them in a tin just to dump them every morning, right?
I’ve been looking for a better solution for several weeks and looked into purchasing an earring display. When I saw one made from an old picture frame on Etsy I thought “I can do that!” and got straight to work.
Now, I’m not usually the crafty type, but this was simple enough even for me. And you can’t go wrong with creating something functional and pretty for around $15!
HOW I DID IT
What you need:
– 1 picture frame
– 1 sheet plastic needle point canvas
– 1 sheet of fancy scrapbook paper (if you want. Mine is silver to match the frame)
All of these things can be purchased at your local craft store.
1) Remove glass from the frame. Be careful! It’s sharp!
2) Trim the needle point canvas to fit snug inside the frame. This is how you’ll hang the earrings.
3) Cut 2 thin strips of cardboard (there’s usually a piece in the frame to keep the picture in place) to act as spacers. This will keep the plastic mesh from pressing against the back of the frame. I used a little tape to keep mine in place
4) Place the fancy paper in the back of the frame (behind the cardboard) and put replace the back of the frame.
I found it easier to load the frame with the earrings and then hang it on the wall. You can also leave it standing.
5) Enjoy your clean dresser!